Re: [squid-users] Proxy traversal query

From: Vinay C <vinayc.mails_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 10:47:58 +0530

Thank you so much Eliezer for the quick response. I am so happy to see
such a detailed response here which I could not get in any forums.
Please find my replies and a few queries inline.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il> wrote:
> Hey Vinay,
>
> Answers are inside the email:
>

> On 07/02/2014 08:15 PM, Vinay C wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for answer to a basic query and I have posted it in
>> different forum but did not get any satisfactory answers. I hope in
>> this group of expert I can get the answer.
>
> We can try to help you.
>

>> Context:
>> I have a program (a sort of http client) that internally uses apache
>> httpClient. Given some set of parameters like Authscheme, proxy server
>> and other details it can traverse through Squid proxy and establish
>> connection to given Webserver.
>
> What sort of authentication can it test?(basic, ntlm, kerberous)

Vinay: It can test Basic, Digest, NTML and Kerberos. I want ensure
that my client working can work with just not through Squid but any
other enterprises level proxies in the world.
I am not in IT domain but a QE engineer and want to ensure I can have
a best possible coverage for my client. I agree that Squid is one of
the best avaiable proxy server but my job is to ensure that my client
works with other proxies too.

>> Query1: I want to ensure my program works for most of the enterprise
>> proxy servers. Given that it can establish a connection via squid, is
>> it safe to assume that it is going to work with all the proxy server
>> like Microsoft TMG, Bluecoat etc?
>
> Depends on what are the options to authenticate and the proxy configuration.
> Some use basic auth others ntlm(should not be used from many reasons) or
> kerberous.(the are other options)

>> Query2: In case I should test my program to be working with different
>> proxy server then for enterprise world which of the proxy server would
>> you like to suggest to have the best coverage.
>
> What fits for you!!
> If you can test all of them with squid in a convenient way use squid.
> If you feel that squid sweeps you from your feet then use another one that
> you feel easy and happy with.

Vinay:
I tested that the client can establish the connection through Squid
but before testing in rest of the proxies in world. I want to know
that does it even make sense to do this exercise. Can I assume that if
my client can establish the connection through squid, it will be
capable of establishing connection through any other proxies in the
world?

>> Query3: Is there any usage data at enterprise level that what are the
>> top 5 widely used proxy servers?
>
> Lets clear one thing:
> - IBM still uses squid 2.7 in couple of their products..
> - SUSE provides squid for enterprises.
> - There are easiest ways to make things work with enterprise authentication
> then to configure and use squid.
> - All proxy servers like BlueCoat, TMG, maybe F5 and others do their work
> for their clients best interests...
>
> You cannot in any way compare a development teams of hundreds to a
> bunch!!!(hint: http://wiki.squid-cache.org/WhoWeAre)

Vinay: I am not comparing the development team around the world but
trying to get some statistics around the widely used proxy server so
as to ensure my test coverage is maximum.

> I do think that squid is a very good proxy but some environments require for
> the sysadmin or netadmin to not take things(testing, debugging) on
> themselves and use the power of another company or human resources which
> will give them a piece of mind to sleep at night.(even if it's not 100%
> true)
>
> This is from me that many people do think of me as unique.
> I can tell you that my knowledge cannot be compared to others which are
> greater then me(in so many ways that this is not the place to write about).
> Also every time that I get stuck on something I know that without the others
> who helps me to think and relax I could not stand for a week on my feet.
>
> Also this is why I like to help others: Because they need it as much as I!

Vinay: Even I do think that you are unique and appreciate your effort
to help the community.