Re: [squid-users] Detecting proxy server

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 08:45:16 -0600

On 07/07/2014 06:58 AM, Vinay C wrote:

> Is there any way I can detect which Proxy server (Preferably name like
> Squid, Websense etc) did my http-request passes through (Either at
> webserver side or at request initiating client side)?

If the proxy adds a Via header identifying the proxy product name, then
you can easily identify such a proxy by looking at the request or
response forwarded by the proxy. FWIW, Squid adds a Via header with
Squid name by default.

If the proxy does not add a Via header, then it may still be possible to
detect and identify it, especially if you control both the client and
the origin server. However, detection and especially identification in
such environment may require sending probing messages and using
imprecise AI techniques "fingerprint" proxy behavior. Your program would
then search for that fingerprint in the fingerprint database of known
proxies. I am not aware of any such ready-to-use programs or databases,
but they may exist.

Please note that a single message may pass through several proxies,
complicating the matters further.

The above applies to regular forwarding, reverse, and so called
"transparent" HTTP proxies as well as their combination.

HTH,

Alex.