RE: [squid-users] Why squid show IP in access log for transparent proxy?‏

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 18:31:54 +1200

On 2014-07-08 17:36, Nil Nik wrote:
> I am NOT looking for client IP or host. I am looking for target server
> IP.
> In case of 'ssl_bump none' squid access log shows IP of server instead
> of domain.

Nik Nik,
   The answer to your original question is that Squid only has the TCP/IP
packet details to work with in intercepted traffic. particularly with
port 443 traffic which has not been decrypted to get the Host header
details.

> log_fqdn on is not useful for me.

For the record this option is not even supported by Squid-3.2 and later.
People using it should move to using %>A in a custom log format instead.

The proper way to log rDNS details is with the %<A and %>A log tokens in
a custom logformat.

The %<A format token is the one needed to log server rDNS record.
However it is important to be aware that rDNS record is often different
from the URL domain name being fetched by the client. Server IP address
is far more accurate and reliable for both debugging and reporting.

Amos