Re: [squid-users] Re: Problem to set up multi-cpu multi-ports squid 3.3.12

From: Patrick Chemla <patrick.chemla_at_performance-managers.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:10:31 +0300

Thanks for help.

The problem is that I can have "some" external IPs and hundreds ports
for each IP on the same box.

Up to now, I am using virtual machines for IPs and I route the ip:ports
with iptables to the right VM (hundreds ports each). There one squid
instance is listening to 128 ports (squid limit). It works very well.

Some customers want more power, so I need to give some VMs more cpus (I
have), and run more than one squid process on the same hundreds ports.

Designing loadbalanced configuration with iptables, or frontend/backend
with squid for incoming hundreds ports, will get to thousands ports inside.

It is possible I think, but building the configurator is something tiny.
Also, configurations can change while in production with squid -k
reconfigure for thousands ports.

Of course I can split the ports to separate squid instances, and limit
each port traffic.

I need to think well about the solution.

Patrick