[squid-users] Three questions about Squid configuration

From: Nicolás <nicolas_at_devels.es>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 20:09:20 +0100

Hi there!

It's been years I haven't played around with squid so I wanted to make a
simple configuration just to see whether I remember the basic things,
and I found two problems:

I'm running:

# squid3 -v
Squid Cache: Version 3.3.8

1) My configuration is the default that the package provides, I just
added another http_port, so now I got:
      http_port 3128
      http_port 3127 intercept

      Afterwards, I setup a REDIRECT iptables rule to make anything
coming to port 8080 be redirected to one of these 2 ports. If I redirect
it to port 3128, everything works fine, squid actually behaves as a
transparent proxy applying the http_access and acl rules correctly. But
if I redirect it to port 3127, any request results in a 111 Connection
refused error. This is the only one rule in my iptables, so it cannot be
related to some rules misconfiguration.

      iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8080
-j REDIRECT --to-ports 312X

      I enabled debugging via the -d flag, there's absolutely nothing
regarding to these requests. The access log shows the request like this:

     1405450438.913 0 origin.ip TCP_MISS/503 3487 GET
http://www.devels.es/ - HIER_DIRECT/machine.public.ip text/html

      So at this point, my questions are 2:

      1.1) What could be causing this behavior?
      1.2) If the default redirect port (3128) works as a transparent
proxy (intercept), then what's the concept difference between both
configurations?

2) There are some websites using SSL that I cannot reach using squid,
resulting in a 110 Connection timed out error. One of them is Facebook:

pi_at_rpi ~ $ telnet machine.public.ip 8080
Trying machine.public.ip...
Connected to machine.public.ip.
Escape character is '^]'.

CONNECT www.facebook.com:443