Re: [squid-users] FW: Problem with server IO resource, need to reduce logging level by excluding specific sites from being logged

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 23:56:57 +1200

On 25/07/2014 11:28 p.m., RYAN Justin wrote:
> Cheers Marcus,
> I did see via googling a rule of thumb quote " cache_mem = total physical memory / 3" - ref http://forums.justlinux.com/showthread.php?126396-Squid-cache-tuning there is a more complex formula quoted too.
>
> Money and access constraints negate the move to faster storage :)
>
> I will look into your recommendations.
>
> The question of removing noise from being logged still exists - would be a nice to have option

Depends on what you mean by noise.

I assume you mean entries in access.log ...

The relevant directive is in your config file as "cache_access_log".
Nowdays that should be configured as:

  access_log /squid/logs/access.log squid

the line can be followed by a list of ACL names, all of which must match
for a transaction to be recorded in the log file.

For example; in order to log only requests for example.com

  acl example1 dstdomain example.com
  access_log /squid/logs/access.log squid example1

... or in order to omit all CONNECT requests:

  # ACL for CONNECT is already defined.
  access_log /squid/logs/access.log squid CONNECT

Amos