Re: Fwd: [squid-users] Request Entity Too Large Error in Squid Reverse Proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 00:10:53 +1200

On 14/08/2014 6:12 a.m., Robert Cicerelli wrote:
> On 8/13/2014 7:22 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 13/08/2014 10:29 p.m., Robert Cicerelli wrote:
>>> Can anyone offer some help on this?
>>>
>>> I'm having a problem that just started after I implemented squid reverse
>>> proxy. I have a couple of applications on one of the apache servers
>>> behind the reverse proxy. Every time someone tries to upload relatively
>>> large files to the application (7 MB, 30 MB), they get the following
>>> error:
>>>
>>> Request Entity Too Large
>>>
>>> If I try to perform the same operation without going through the squid
>>> reverse proxy, the uploads work with no problems.
>>>
>>> I'm using proxy 3.1.20
>>> <https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense-packages/commits/master/config/31>
>>> on pfsense. I tried posting this issue on the pfsense support forums and
>>> I have gotten zero replies so I'm trying the squid mailing list. The
>>> situation has become a big problem so I would appreciate some help on
>>> this.
>>>
>>> A few parameters I've adjusted to various values with no success:
>>>
>>> Minimum object size
>>> Maximum object size
>>> Memory cache size
>>> Maximum download size
>>> Maximum upload size
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>>>
>> Can you provide a sample of the request HTTP headers being sent to Squid
>> for one of these failed uploads?
>>
>> Amos
>>

> One more thing to add that I just discovered:

The terminology used in your description may be clear when applied to an
origin server, but becomes unclear when applied to a proxy situation
(where there are two of everything).

> First a little background for the sake of clarification, I'm using squid
> in reverse proxy in order to forward appropriate https requests to
> multiple servers behind the firewall since we only have on public IP
> address.

Okay, so far good.

> In the particular instance I'm having a problem with, we have a
> web application on one of the web servers that's running over https.

Okay.

> So,
> I created a webserver in squid

Did you mean a http_port with "accel" configured? ...

> pointing to the IP of the actual
> webserver

 ... or a cache_peer directive?

> and I set the port to 443 since the web application on the
> web server is only configured to respond to 443.

... sounds like cache_peer. But, did you also set "ssl" flag and SSL/TLS
options to make the connection HTTPS, or just leave it sending HTTP to
port 443?

> Then i created a
> mapping group

 a what?

> that listened for four https URIs, one of the URIs being
> the secure web application in question and I binded it to the webserver
> I created earlier.

 huh? "binded" how exactly?

If you can provide your squid.conf it would be really helpful
understanding this.

Amos