[squid-users] Proxy server Spec..

From: Stephan Viljoen <steph_at_gabswave.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:12:50 +0200

Hi There,

I’m putting together a new Proxy server for a medium sized ISP (4000 users
plus) and would appreciate a few pointers from you good folks.

I vaguely remember  a debate a few years ago about SSD vs. conventional
drives and was wondering which would be the best to use these days ? Also ,
apparently it’s better to use a higher Mhz CPU rather than more cores ? Is
this still the case or does squid handle multiple cores better these days?

Also note , I’m thinking of rather boosting web performance rather than to
save bandwidth. So I’m going to try and keep my cached objects as small as
possible.

PowerEdge T620 NO CPU No RAM No HDD - 3yr Pro NBD
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2630 v2 2.60GHz 15M Cache 7.2GT/s QPI Turbo HT
128GB RAM
2 x 200GB Solid State Disk SAS 6Gbps 2.5"

Thanks in advance,
-steph