[squid-users] server failover/backup

From: Mike <mcsnv96_at_afo.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 16:09:35 -0500

Question, when we copy the /etc/squid/passwd file itself from "server 1"
to "server 2", and when using the same squid authentication, why does
server 2 not accept the username and passwords in the file that works on
server 1?
Is that file encrypted by server 1?
Do we need to create a new passwd file from scratch on server 2, and use
a script to "import" it into that new passwd file from server 1?

The main differences:
Server 1 is 64 bit OS Fedora 8 using squid Version 2.6.STABLE19
Server 2 is recently installed OS with 32 bit CentOS 6.5 i686 (due to
hardware being 32bit), squid 3.4.5.

Does that 64 versus 32 bit file setup and creation make an impact? Or
how about the 2.6.x versus 3.4.x?

The squid.conf specifics, older server 1:

auth_param basic program /usr/lib64/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid/passwd
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
auth_param basic casesensitive on

acl ourCustomers proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow ourCustomers

The squid.conf specifics, newer OS server 2:

auth_param basic program
/usr/src/squid-3.4.5/helpers/basic_auth/NCSA/basic_ncsa_auth
/etc/squid/passwd
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
auth_param basic casesensitive on

acl ourCustomers proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow ourCustomers