Re: [squid-users] server failover/backup

From: Mike <mcsnv96_at_afo.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 19:54:56 -0500

On 8/18/2014 6:56 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> 1) long passwords encrypted with DES.
>
> The current releases Squid NCSA helper checks length of DES passwords
> and rejects if they are more than 8 charecters long instead of silently
> truncating and accepting bad input.
>
> If your users have long passwords and you encrypted them into the
> original file with DES then they need to be upgraded. Logging in with
> only the first 8 characters of their password should still work with DES.

Thanks Amos.
That seemed to be the issue.
I did some digging and we found we had to use MD5 when recreating the
user/pass file using the "htpasswd -mb /etc/squid/password user pass"
and didn't have to change anything in squid.conf. The basic_ncsa_auth
automatically picks up the md5 hash used on the new file and the issue
is resolved.

Thanks again
Mike