Re: [squid-users] Very slow initial reply

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 01:29:07 +1200

On 27/08/2014 8:50 p.m., Bruno Guerreiro wrote:
> Hello.
> Thanks for your reply.
> DNS was also my first thought, but what surprises me is that on the same server, nginx or direct are ok, but squid takes almost a minute. Also nslookup and dig work fast.
> And this happens everytime. But i'll look for DNS failures on the server
> Anyone has any other idea?

In Squid you can configure dns_timeout for how long it will wait in
total for DNS results to come back. This will make an error response
happen faster for this type of DNS error.

As Eliezer mentioned, the fix is in your local DNS server config or the
upstream domains DNS server config.
 * Your recursive DNS server used by Squid apparently has a long timeout
on waits for a response from the domains NS-1 before moving on to its
NS-2 etc. most of the actual lag you are seeing is coming from that.

 * The proper fix is for the upstream domain admin to fix their NS
servers of course. If you contact them about which servers are having
trouble that might get it fixed for everyone.

Amos