RE: [squid-users] Xeon / P3 / Dual decision

From: <sean.upton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 10:43:52 -0800

I think the problem with NAS is that a dead NFS link, either hard or soft
mounted, would likely kill Squid, based upon what I've heard on this list
(if I'm wrong, someone tell me). I would think that SCSI or fibre DAS would
be best if you needed more than 4 internal disks using a hardware raid card.
If I needed that much storage, I would get a low-end single-adapter external
direct-attached SCSI RAID unit exporting a volume for my cache directories.

The disadvantage, of course to a 1U server is that you have only one
available PCI slot, so you cannot have both a fibre host adapter, and a RAID
adapter for internal drives; I know that with Sun Netra 1U servers, you have
the option of purchasing a 1U PCI expander chassis (Sun Netra E1) that gets
you 4 PCI slots in an external chassis. I'm not sure if there is anything
like this available for Intel hardware, though it would be nice if such a
thing existed (though I bet the Sun Netra E1 expander would work with any
PCI-based system).

If you built your own server using similar components, you could likely get
a bit more flexibility and use a bigger case, but you would have to make
sure you could meet the power (I think around 450W!) and cooling
requirements of the mainboard (Tyan Thunder K7). If you did things this
way, you could use cheaper components, like system drives, and then use an
external RAID array instead for your cache dirs...

Sean