Re: [squid-users] CONNECT in log file

From: Deb Heller-Evans <deb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:51:51 -0800 (PST)

Meanwhile, Henrik Nordstrom says:

| See RFC2817

 I read this RFC, and while I don't profess to understanding
 all if it just yet, section 8.2 has me concerned, especially
 the last sentence:

8.2 Security Considerations for CONNECT

   A generic TCP tunnel is fraught with security risks. First, such
   authorization should be limited to a small number of known ports.
   The Upgrade: mechanism defined here only requires onward tunneling at
   port 80. Second, since tunneled data is opaque to the proxy, there
   are additional risks to tunneling to other well-known or reserved
   ports. A putative HTTP client CONNECTing to port 25 could relay spam
   via SMTP, for example.

As squid is configured today, assuming most defaults in place, with
modifications for site ACLs, like

acl Safe_ports port nn1
acl Safe_ports port nn2

acl CONNECT method CONNECT
http_access deny !Safe_ports

Where port 25, for example is not a Safe_port, then am I correct
in my assessment that tunnels to/from my squid proxy for port 25
will be disallowed?

If so, that is quite nice. I just wish I could disallow
incoming connections to port 25 of this tunneling type, where my
internal proxy has no bearing whatsoever. Since I cannot do that,
I have to rely on scanning/filtering email which has already
traversed port 25. <sigh>

deb