Re: [squid-users] Heavy CPU usage

From: <stan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:30:30 -0800 (PST)

> With a RedHat 7.1, Squid 2.4.STABLE2, I'm reaching a maximum peak of 90
> trans./sec. in a Dual Pentium III 1 Ghz.
>
> However, the squid process reaches almost 100% CPU use with 60 trans./sec.

I've been seeing this on my machines, too. I run a Squid as an
accelerator. My old setup had an AMD K6-2/500 with 256MB and a single
9GB fast wide SCSI disk. It was able to handle 250 reqs/sec and the
CPU was about 50% busy. Then I upgraded the system to an Athlon. I
kept all the other parts the same, just changing the motherboard and
CPU. Now with the Athlon, I get almost 100% CPU busy at about 100
reqs/sec. This seems odd. Nothing else has changed. Any ideas?
I'm running FreeBSD with soft updates enabled.

--
Stan Schwarz                | Extreme sports...offer "some kind of physical
System Administrator        | analog to the thrill of installing Linux or