[squid-users] Routing to multiple Parent proxies

From: Adeoye Oke <adeoye@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:34:20 +0100

Hello list,
I have a problem which I am hoping I could use squid to solve somehow. I
need a setup which will allow me send all requests except those to a
number of specified sites, to a bunch of parent proxies. This would have
been easy using cache_peer to specify the parent proxies, and acls along
with never_direct to control the routing of the requests. However there
is no gurantee that all proxies would be online all the time, and I may
wish to change some of them once in a while.

The constraints I have to work with are:
1. The parent proxies do not support ICP queries
2. Some of the proxies become really slow, so I would need to send
requests to the faster proxies first. 3. I need the replacement and
changing of these proxies to be as dynamic as possible

Is there a way out there, possibly using an addon program or with squid
alone, to achieve this? I might also add that I have previously achieved
this on a windows machine using ISA server and an add on multiproxy
application, however I would like to port the entire setup to squid due
to performance and resource demand issues.

Any helpful hint, script or program in this regard will be highly
appreciated. Thank you.

Ade.