Re: Status of mail list ...

From: Scott C. Lemon <scott.lemon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 23:16:48 -0700

Hello!

Kostas Anagnostakis wrote:

> Cool! Is there any publicly available information on the mib these
> products are based on?

I will check to see if the MIB is public ... I'm not sure why it wouldn't be ...

> In fact, I'm more than eager to find out whether a
> common mib for caching/proxying software is possible at all, given the
> wide range of functions, roles and features that can be observed.

Yes ... I do know that it is quite different from yours. They have left most of
the host operating system objects to other MIBs ...

There are a couple of points/questions that I was going to ask about in the current
Squid MIB.

1. In the config group : table of peers you have an object to represent the
cachePeerType. There are two issues that I have run across.

First, you probably do not want to have "none (4)" as a type. If it was of type
none then I would think it shouldn't be in the table. Also, it is not good to
leave none as the last value. There might be more types that you want to add and
none would seem out of place at number 4.

Second, I have already found in my work that I want to know who the children are.
So you're probably going to want to add a type child. This would be information on
any node that pings you using ICP. I found that I need this to be able to traverse
cache hierarchies in both directions ... upstream and downstream.

2. Do you maybe want to couple the table mentioned above, with the cache peer stats
table? These stats would just be additional columns in the same table. This would
consolidate some of the information.

3. I have found that another useful stat on peers is the number of objects, and
total Kbytes transferred to or from a peer. This helps to give detail on the
actual flow of objects in the hierarchy.

4. Do you keep stats on active connections? Both client and server? I didn't see
anything in the MIB related to connections, active, or persistant.

> You might want to peek at http://www.nlanr.net/Cache/cache-snmp/mrtg-demo/
> Unfortunately we had to tweak mrtg to give us what we want (per minute
> rates, our own variables etc). For now, only tirana is being "monitored".

Cool stuff ... I've seen mrtg in the past ... these are some nice graphs. How
heavily used is tirana? It looks fairly quiet ...

> Sure, feel free to access tirana.nlanr.net, 3401 is the port number squid
> listens for snmp packets. Bug reports, comments etc, would help us a lot!

Ok ... I'll give it a try and see what I find ...

--
Scott C. Lemon                      Network Integration, Inc.
Heber City, UT  84032  USA        www.Network-Integration.com