Re: Status of mail list ...

From: Kostas Anagnostakis <kostas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 21:46:09 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Scott C. Lemon wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Kostas Anagnostakis wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there was anybody interested in snmp-based cache
> > management at all ;-)
>
> Very much! I've been working extensively with Novell's BorderManager and
> FastCache - both of which have SNMP agents and information.

Cool! Is there any publicly available information on the mib these
products are based on? In fact, I'm more than eager to find out whether a
common mib for caching/proxying software is possible at all, given the
wide range of functions, roles and features that can be observed.

> I have written some prototype applications in Visual Basic, and we are now
> moving into our first Java implementations. It has been interesting to watch
> some of the patterns that emerge. I have access to the SNMP data from some
> heavily used proxy/cache boxes.

You might want to peek at http://www.nlanr.net/Cache/cache-snmp/mrtg-demo/
Unfortunately we had to tweak mrtg to give us what we want (per minute
rates, our own variables etc). For now, only tirana is being "monitored".

> Are there boxes that have "public" read access? I'd love to see what some of
> our visualization experiments would look like against some other machines.
> We're trying to complete the Java versions so that we can put them into an
> applet format for web delivery ...

Sure, feel free to access tirana.nlanr.net, 3401 is the port number squid
listens for snmp packets. Bug reports, comments etc, would help us a lot!

Cheers,
-Kostas