Re: unlink bottleneck

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 21:16:30 +0800 (HKT)

Hi,

Brian Denehy wrote:
> Basically yes. Tuning lifetimes so as not to run out of filesystem space
> seems a little more of an art than it used to be.

Yup, since we're now dependent on factors out of our control...

> And even when the objects/bucket is down at 20 there is still a
> significant performance hit as unlinking kicks into high gear.

What do you think of deferring the expiry for a given moment in time,
say once a day, like Usenet expires? Let storeDirClean write the
filenames to a deletion logfile which will be passed through daily.
However, will the cache run out of filenames?

--
miguel a.l. paraz  <map@iphil.net>                              +63-2-893-0850
iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>