Re: [MEL-NAP] Putting AUIX local domains into squid

From: Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:47:00 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> Introducing routing tables into squid would mean major headache anyway,
> IMO probe&cache approach might do better.
>
> As this and net_db stuff is at all introduced to solve the need to know
> which neighbor is the right one to use, I would like to just point out,
> that building up some routing decision database in squid process is tough
> task and copies that of actual routers do, why not ask those routers for
> right decisions?

This is why I suggested a squid-routed which can query the system routing
tables. This has all come up because a peering point in Melbourne,
Australia has been started and the members (a) want to sibling each other
(easy); (b) want to be able to go direct and not through a parent to all
of the members' web servers. The wish was "that squid will understand
BGP4". BGP4 in squid is a bit unrealistic, but a squid-routed which can
query routing tables managed by gated (or whatever) is not.

Danny