Re: [MEL-NAP] Putting AUIX local domains into squid

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 97 09:25:28 -0800

danny@hilink.com.au writes:

>Further thoughts on Squid and BGP:
>
>I recently learned the syntax 'route -n get 203.2.144.6' which returns
>information about a path to a host in the host's routing tables. On
>FreeBSD, it returns:
>
>For a non-locally-known host
> route to: 203.20.144.6
>destination: default
> mask: default
> gateway: 203.29.224.30
> interface: ed0
> flags: UP,GATEWAY,STATIC,DONE,PRCLONING
>
>For a locally-known host:
>
> route to: 203.8.13.6
>destination: 203.8.13.0
> mask: 255.255.255.0
> gateway: 203.29.224.19
> interface: ed0
> flags: UP,GATEWAY,DONE,PRCLONING
>
>Thus, squid could interrogate the host's routing tables directly to
>determine the localness of a host, working on the basis that if the
>returned route is not 'default' it should be asked directly, and not
>through a parent. Running gated on the squid machine would thus manage
>the routing tables for squid.
>
>The only catch is that 'route' is suid root so that it can read the kernel
>routing tables, and thus a separate squid-routed would be needed to
>interrogate the tables on squid's behalf.
>
>Thoughts?

Wow, I fall asleep and miss a whole thread overnight....

I am very interested in getting Squid to look at IP routing for
request forwarding. Of course some people call that a serious
layer violation...

Peeking at the kernel routing table may be a good place to start,
but I don't know that it will be powerful enough. It may only
work for caches directly connected to border routers.

I think AS numbers is the right way to go in the long run. My dream is
that there is at least one cache running in each AS. Given the IP
address of an origin server, we can somehow query a router or a gated
process and receive the AS path to that server, or at least the next-AS
in the path. Then we forward the request to the cache running in the
next AS.

I would really like to have an interface between gated and Squid.
Perhaps such a thing would not be too difficult. I need to spend
some quality time educating myself more on IP routing things.

Meanwhile, I urge you all to play with the ICMP/NETDB stuff in
Squid-1.1.9. I spent a lot of time the past couple of weeks getting
it running on the NLANR caches. I'd be very interested to hear
how well it does or does not work for others. Some details for
setting it up can be found in the 1.1.9 Release Notes under
"Network Probe Database."

Duane W.