Re: [MEL-NAP] Putting AUIX local domains into squid

From: Mark Treacy <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 10:38:17 +1000

Has someone looked seriously into how useful this would be ?
It's not that hard to prototype something that should give most of the
results without doing all the work of integrating squid and gated etc.

For Australia, a list of networks is ftp'able - over 8000 networks
although many are aggregated and many aren't actually active.
Doesn't take much expect and perl work to turn the list into something
that cron runs daily and is used in your squid.conf.

Similarly, doing a daily dump of some bgp knowledgeable box is
not that much trouble to put into a periodic cron job. On one hand
it's 20 lines of expect script and some perl munging, or it's gdc dump
followed by some perl munging.

Say we neighbored based on proximity of the neighbor to the source, and
say that source was somewhere in Australia. We have a dynamic route
topology aware squid that has detected that despite us being multiply
connected to this other Australia NSP that all 3 links are down and the
only path left is via the US. How useful is it that our squid now
starts sending the requests to an nlanr cache in the US which then forwards
it to the cache at somensp.net.au instead of us forwarding directly to
the cache at somensp.net.au ?

I agree having squid bgp aware may be the answer, but are we sure what
the question was ?

danny@hilink.com.au writes:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Duane Wessels wrote:
>
>> danny@hilink.com.au writes:
>>

>> >The only catch is that 'route' is suid root so that it can read the kernel
>> >routing tables, and thus a separate squid-routed would be needed to
>> >interrogate the tables on squid's behalf.
>> >
>> >Thoughts?
>>
>> I think AS numbers is the right way to go in the long run. My dream is
>> that there is at least one cache running in each AS. Given the IP

> An interface between gated and squid would be interesting. Another
> possibility raised is the use of snmpwalk piped to perl to read the tables
> of the border router and put them into a localnets config file.
There are much more efficient ways of getting a route table out of a router.

> This has
> some merit, in that gated needed run on the squidhost, and the ASN tags
Pun intended ? (merit, gated)

> can also be read. Reading the kernel routing table won't give you
> ASNs.
>
> It is hard to know which way to jump. The squid-routed would work
> for me, because I run gated on my squid-host so that it knows my local
> networks. But I don't have an ASN and I don't run BGP; I run OSPF
> internally.
You could still run gdc dump daily (or for that matter, netstat -rn).

 - Mark.