Re: squid rewrite

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 21:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:
> I think we can have both clean code and a single process.

Oh another note from current Apache discussions (we're at the same
phase right now, done with a major release and planning the future).
An argument for multiple heavy-weight processes is that a seg fault or
other problem won't take out your entire server. This is more an issue
with apache where users tend to write buggy modules (nah we never code
seg faults, yeah that's it). But just a point ...

If squid doesn't go multi-process or multi-threaded it can't take as
much advantage of SMP systems. When you start considering HTTP/1.1
and the possible need for the server chunk/un-chunk stuff and do
other 1.1/1.0 translations you might see your need for CPU increasing.
Or inflate/deflate (sure you can store it on disk deflated, but what if
the client issues a byte range request?)... I'm sure there are other
features that could chew cpu.

Dean