multiple A records

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 10:55:10 +0200 (GMT)

Hi

The biggest complaint that I get with squid is www.microsoft.com being
broken...

As we know, if one of the IP addresses is down for microsoft.com, squid
returns an error message and does something like "marks it down"...

The people at microsoft seem to be relying on "if and A record is down
try the next A record that was returned in the DNS"... this doesn't
happen with squid, but does in things like netscape (and telnet)...

Anyone have any idea how to patch squid so that it doesn't do this...
from what I can tell the correct procedure is to "try the next
IP" if you get connection refused (though for things like "connection
reset by peer" during the middle of the download it's to give up)

I haven't had a look at the code but I would guess that it's
not easy?

        Oskar