Re: thoughts on memory usage...

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-squid-dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 02:21:13 -0700 (PDT)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Oskar Pearson wrote:

> There are various 'political' advantages to not doing this now... most
> of them hang around allowing the internet-drafts for ICP to
> actually become standards, and make the world a better place.

I'm curious ... I have to admit I haven't read the ICP draft yet. I'm
naively assuming that ICP is just a fast way of doing a restricted HEAD
request. If so, then HTTP/1.1 pipelined HEADs offer more versatility at
probably the same speed. You pay latency on the first request in the
pipe, but the rest are essentially the same round trip latency as UDP. You
could cache connections (only for 60 or 120 idle seconds as described in
draft-ietf-http-connection-mgmt-00.txt).

Dean

--MimeMultipartBoundary--