Re: Windows, yeeuch

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:13:04 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi

> > (for example) a web browser.... This should probably work as a
> > completely seperate project...
> I am interested in working on one. In fact, I've already thought about
> this.
> One good prerequisite would be to allow Squid to reconfigure some
> items not critical to its operation, without having to shut down
> and start again. ACLs, for one, would benefit from this - you can
> easily test your new configs on a live machine.
Great idea... I remember seeing a patch around that would periodically
check if changes had been made when you include a file from the config
file

Eg:
acl kill-list src "/usr/local/squid/etc/kill-list"

It would check periodically... I am not sure how it did this, since it
probably just did a 'kill -HUP myid' equivilent...

There are 2 ways we can do this - the right way and the way that netscape
does it...

Right way: Allow a browser to make changes by interfacing directly with
squid, using 'PUT cache_object://' or something...

Other way (not really wrong, see): run a seperate process which listens
to a different port, and reads and writes the config file. You make changes,
then say 'restart'. The 'configd' writes the new config file and sends
a kill -HUP to the squid process...

Anotherway (might be a good idea anyway): split the common functions, such
as ACL's into a seperate file, which you can reload without closing all
connections.... I hate having to add new lists of addresses that are allowed,
since my cache is busy until early mornings, and then people loose their
downloads.

Oskar

--MimeMultipartBoundary--