Re: Debug Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:24:36 +0100

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Yee Man Chan wrote:
>=20
> Hi, Any Great Programmers out there,
>=20
> Here is my question:
>=20
> Is it possible to modify the RunCache shell script such that I can use
> ddd or whatever debugger with a GUI to debug Squid? If it is not possib=
le,
> can anyone tell me how a professional programmer, like you, debug Squid=
?

I usually start Squid from gdb when debugging, and have logging enabled
on stdout (-d on 1.2beta).

Typical 1.2beta session:

% gdb squid
gdb> r -DNYCd

-D to disable DNS lookups (I am usually off line when doing this).
-N to turn off daemon mode (needed to be able to debug interactively)
-C to let the debugger catch fatal signals when they do occur. It does a
much better job, and gets confused if Squid traps them.
-d to show the log on stdout

Then in squid.conf I have debug_options set to full logging for the part
I am debugging.

And if you are thinking about Squid programming/debugging, please join
squid-dev@nlanr.net (requests to join are sent to Duane
<wessels@nlanr.net>). You do not need to be a Squid expert to join
squid-dev.

---