Release notes - on their way, sort of

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 02:32:37 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi

I have been slowly re-vamping (so that it contains the squid-1.2 info)
the squid documentation - not the only users guide, but the actual
doc files included in squid-1.2.

I have created a 'upbeat'/Microsoft-type-press-release about the
current features of squid-1.2.. async-io and so on.

Currently there are too many 'doc' files (IMHO) - I would like to replace them
like this:

Leave only the following files in the 'squid-1.2' directory:

COPYING, README... TODO should stay as long as it's a
development release.. Credits could stay too.

README will contain the propaganda above and a list of all the other documents
and their intended audiences - Quickstart etc etc etc...
It must have an index so that people can skip the propaganda if they
know squid.

INSTALL and QUICKSTART could easily be integrated.

Release notes only contains things that have changed from squid-1.1, kind
of like it does now - but we want to keep this file of minimal size.

I remember that the first time I installed Squid I found the Release-Notes
in joy (it's big - it must contain all the info I need!), only to find that
they didn't give pointers to places that told you how to install it..
it was all way too technical for a first-time user.

I don't know if we should integrate the squid-users guide into squid...
people have been wanting it in an 'all-in-one' format for a while. This
will take more time that I have at the moment... It's currently 2:30am
here :(

The problem is that all of these changes are on my laptop at home, so
I can't give patches 'so far'... :)

Ideas/flames?

Oskar

---
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -
a single minute of being alive?"				-- Think Twice
--MimeMultipartBoundary--