Re: Successfuly Ported/Compiled Squid on NT

From: Martin Hamilton <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:50:04 +0100

Henrik Nordstrom writes:

  [ I said: ]
| > b) mail.exe doesn't exist, so when Squid dies it grumbles about that
|
| Well... ;-)

I suppose the general point is that Squid should probably have config
file entries for the paths to any external binaries it runs. The
invocation of "mail" slipped through, but it looks like everything
else (or nearly everything) is covered.

| > c) Squid stopped accepting connections, but didn't actually die as a
| > process :-( I wasn't running it under RunCache, just directly as a
| > binary
|
| Anything in the logs (squid and NT event log), or did it simply go to
| sleep for no apparent reason?

It was one of those access failure thingies - possibly because I'd
built Squid to run out of /usr/local/squid but then invoked it with a
different set of paths in my squid.conf. Have rebuilt it with the
- --prefix argument to make sure it knows where it's supposed to be
living.

| > d) Had the odd access failure exception - it's not clear to me what
| > Squid was trying to access. I'm running it inside it's own little
| > area, without admin priviledges, and with (I thought) all of the
| > paths in squid.conf changed to reference this. Probably finger
| > trouble on my part, this
|
| access failure exception? What kind of "access failure"?

I'm not sure whether this is an NT thing or a Cygwin thing - am at
home now and don't have access to that NT box (must build sshd :-)
from here. It was in capital letters, something like
ACCESS_FAILURE_EXCEPTION. I assumed that either NT or Cygwin was
trying to tell me that I didn't have permission to write to a file or
a directory. Will try to reproduce...

| > e) After my rebuild/restart, I now see lots of messages saying that
| > there was a "size mismatch" in storeSwapInFileOpened. The difference
| > seems to be typically between 7 and 10 bytes, but varies. I wondered
| > whether this was a side-effect of the timezone fix, but haven't
| > really looked into what info is being squirted around
|
| Your cache directory is probably not mounted in binary mode. (mount -b)
| This could count for both both the size mismatch and some of the poor
| performance...

Oooh - good point! Have remounted...

| > f) the icons shar archive and lack of "uudecode" I mentioned before
|
| Yes. uudecode is not delivered with cygwin32 currently. You can use
| winzip to unpack the shar archive (unpack it to the same directory), or
| compile a uudecode binary yourself (or write one in perl)...

And for people who don't have Perl on their NT boxes :-) I can report
that the uudecode in the GNU sharutils builds and runs OK under
gnu-win32: <URL:http://wwwcache.ja.net/~martin/uudecode.exe>

| > g) general niggle - the installation of error HTML and icons, which I
| > mentioned before

I tried again today with beta 20, your patches, and that --prefix
argument to configure - and everything went fine. So just ignore me!

| Installs fine here when I manually unpack the icons using winzip, and
| have the install directory mounted in binary mode. Both icon files and
| error pages are installed in the install directory as usual.

I tried with Winzip before giving up and building uudecode - but my
version of Winzip said "nyah!" and refused to recognise the shar
archive as something it could process. So, we might need a version
number in there too ? - e.g "Henrik says it works with version N.NN" :-)

I'll blat my tame NT Squid with a few million more URLs tomorrow and
see if it behaves itself. More anon...

Ciao!

Martin