Re: connection reset by peer messages

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 19:19:31 +1200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Wed, May 06, 1998 at 07:31:28PM +0000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > Now, this may or may not be acceptable, but the fact is this happens and
> > that the squid emits a 'connection reset by peer' response when Microsoft
> > Proxy II seems to retry these. (I've not actually confirmed it does other
> > than I don't see errors that would indicite this when using it).
>
> Squid should NOT emit these messages, it is a bug/misfeature/HTTP
> violation.

Thats all very well - but because squd produces appaarent errors and MX
Proxy doesn't - pointy hairs start saying stuff like "the squid is shit and
ms proxy rules", etc.

> > I agree that squids probably do the right thing and the client should deal
> > with it as appropriate, but then some people start whacking reload which can
> > deminish the effectiveness of the cache.
>
> Squid does NOT deal with it in a proper way if it emits a "Connection
> reset" error message on first try. Either it should retry the operation
> for a undefined number of times, or leave it to the client to decide (by
> closing the connection without a reply).

I need to do some testing here to verify when this actually occurs. I'm
going by may parents place this weekend and have and old 486/66 there. I'll
install IIS on that and hopefully it will be slow enough for me to be able
to reliable replicate the problem under a packet trace.

-Chris

--MimeMultipartBoundary--