Re: Dead Horse

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:52:16 +1200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

> > Oh, to further confuse this and make me think this might be a libc
> > problem, another cache under test, only this time running with a
> > different libc doesn't appear to be growing abnormally (yet).
>
> Hm.. Well, this would be the easiest answer for Squid :) Let us know if
> the problem re-appears with the other libc.

Can anyone explain to me the meaning of the various parts of the memory
pools stuff and how it relates to the cache_mem settings? (if at all)

I was under the impression that cache_mem would specific an upper bound for
the amount of memory the squid should use, but apparently this isn't the
case.

Looking at the source its not really clear to me what exactly is going on
there.

With cache_mem at 16MB, I have 34MB allocated, 32MB in use an 3MB idle. Is
there some way I can cap this form going too high?

At the present rate this will start swapping in a day or so and presumably
performance will really suck then....

-Chris

P.S. Is there a CVS tree of something for squid, or do we just send patches
     to this list?

--MimeMultipartBoundary--