Re: Dead Horse

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 17:14:36 -0600 (MDT)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me the meaning of the various parts of the memory
> pools stuff and how it relates to the cache_mem settings? (if at all)

cache_mem has nothing to do with memory pools. Look at cache_mem,
memory_pools, and memory_pools_limit tags in squid.conf for details.

> I was under the impression that cache_mem would specific an upper bound for
> the amount of memory the squid should use, but apparently this isn't the
> case.

Having two tags is confusing. However, both of them are important. Perhaps,
we should have one "the amount of memory the squid should use" tag and then
another tag that would specify the proportion between "cache memory" and
"pooled memory". However, it is still unclear if one can track all the memory
in use precisely (I doubt that) and what to do if Squid runs over the limit..

> With cache_mem at 16MB, I have 34MB allocated, 32MB in use an 3MB idle. Is
> there some way I can cap this form going too high?
>
> At the present rate this will start swapping in a day or so and presumably
> performance will really suck then....

What Squid parameter (if any) grows with time in your setup? Memory
allocated? Idle memory? That is, is there any visible correlation between
Squid reports and actual memory usage?

> P.S. Is there a CVS tree of something for squid, or do we just send patches
> to this list?

People usually send patches to squid-bugs. Most of them get accepted,
eventually. Squid-dev may be used for discussing the patches.

Alex.

--MimeMultipartBoundary--