Re: rejecting connections

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 00:34:33 -0600

Martin Hamilton writes:

>We see the scenario that from time to time the amount of traffic
>flowing through a particular cache server exceeeds what it's able to
>deal with. OK, so we reroute some of the traffic through other
>servers, but in the meantime it would be useful for the overloaded
>cache to be able to either refuse connections or (perhaps) return an
>ICP message telling peering servers not to talk to it for a while.

returning an ICP_MISS_NOFETCH message is easy. The hard part is
figuring out when to start sending those instead of ICP_MISS.
We already do this with the checkFailureRatio() function and
the 'hit_only_mode_until' variable.

Outright refusing TCP connections is a harsher solution
I think. Client caches with the connect-retry code
will just repeat the connection attempt a few times, and
then report an error.

>I'm thinking that this could be based on something like the length of
>time taken to deliver a cached object to a client, and/or the number
>of requests per second being dealt with - configurable via squid.conf.

sure, that would probably work. Would be nice to make it
automatic though.

Duane W.