Re: ICP incoming/outgoing port definitions

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:29:24 -0600

Stewart Forster writes:

>> I've never tried it myself. But I will confirm that we READ
>> from the outgoing socket. But we never WRITE to the incmoing
>> socket.
>
> By never WRITE, you mean that ICP queries are never sent out the
>incoming socket (unless outgoing == incoming of course)? Replies to a
>query sent to our cache looks to me to be sent back on the incoming socket
>since icpHandleIcpV2 just writes back onto the socket that was passed to
>it (if it got a query).

Yes, it looks like you are correct.

But I found something strange too. In squid-1.1 we always queue ICP
replies. There is only one queue. So it seems like all ICP replies
will be sent out on the last socket to recieve a query. It is possible
that we received a group of queries on both sockets but the the replies
would all go out on one socket or the other.

This is much less likely to happen with squid-1.2 because we always try
send() before queueing. I have never seen ICP replies queued on any
of my caches:

Connection information for squid:
        Number of ICP messages received: 7706371
        Number of ICP messages sent: 7803266
        Number of queued ICP replies: 0

Duane W.