Re: comm_*_incoming changes

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:41:38 +0300

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On 28 May 98, at 15:18, Stewart Forster <slf@connect.com.au> wrote:

> > How about incoming_idle_poll, and incoming_active_poll?
> >
> > Further, how about a floating value that moves between these two
> > values. Say move it up by .01 for every no-active timeout, and down by .01
> > for every time there's some action. (Of course then take the integer
> > component of that when working out when to next poll). That way if it's'
> > sitting busy at 2 (the default min) and we don't have activity for a brief
> > bit, then it slowly moves to the slower poll rate. That way the current
> > value could be printed out on some stats page to help users tune it
> > accordingly by watching where the value sits at. It's it's constantly
> > maxed or minned out, they then know what to adjust.

 To get fractional increments, we could compare (value >> n) with
 the incoming_counter.

> Actually, thinking further (sorry about the multiple posts), if we
> just start up with a sensible value (say 16, and let 16 (32?) be the maximum
> number of I/O requests between polls) and let it float about slowly, then
> it's going to tune itself quite happily and there becomes no need to confuse
> the user/operator with extra config variables since squid will just adjust
> to the load it sees. Just set a hard minimum of 1 and a hard maximum of 16
> (32?) and it should be fine.

 Agreed. Why not limit the abs max at Biggest_FD + few? That is, to not
 do preliminarily poll of incoming at all. Case of idle cache.

> The only gotcha I can think of is responding
> too slowly to load spikes if the value moves too slowly, but load spikes of
> that large of a change over a few seconds are rare.

 What about making decrement factor increasing? for eg., << 1 increment
 factor when there was activity on incoming 2 consecutive times,
 until there is no activity, then set the factor to default. we'd get
 fast reaction.

 Andres Kroonmaa mail: andre@online.ee
 Network Manager
 Tallinn, Sakala 19 Pho: +372 6308 909