Re: Proposed refresh algorithm changes

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 01:42:03 +0200

Duane Wessels wrote:

> Under the assumption that since the server didn't send a
> Last-Modified header, it wouldn't properly handle or understand
> the If-Modified-Since request.
>
> Can you show me some servers which support IMS but don't send LM?

It may happen, and for us it is about the same amount of work to support
it as not. Perhaps there is not many servers supporting it today, but if
Squid uses it then it may be feasible by some servers to do it. A
example is when having some kind of accelerator in front of dynamically
generated contents. If the client already has the same contents the
accelerator would have served them (which is not to unlikely) then IMS
makes sense, even thought the contents itself does not have a proper
last-modified date.

/Henrik