Re: ICP & HEAD requests

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 23:48:48 +0200

Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> So, why, in theory, can't we have `ICP-with-a-head' ?

Do we even need to differentiate between HEAD and GET in ICP? What are
the chances that a cache only has a cached HEAD reply?

Perhaps sending normal ICP queries on HEAD requests is enought? Squid
does answer HEAD requests when it has a "fresh" object in cache, and I
hope most other caches does the same...

Hmm... while playing around with HEAD.. is HEAD headers cached at any
time? I think I have seen evidence of this in the code, but I can't get
either my 1.2beta or 1.1.21 to act as it does.. I only get HEAD hits if
there is a fully cached object (from a GET request).

/Henrik