Re: push caching and squid

From: Stephen Baxter <steve@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 21:11:49 +0930 (CST)

> > I am working fora satellite communications compnay, Media4.
> > I am looking at push caching as a means to provide easily accessible
> > cache at the client sites, that can be pushed into by the server at
> > the head end. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for me to
> > look at before I delved into it. I am looking at Squid code, and
> > modifying it to receive multicast of pushed pages.
>
> I already started on this before, but then I stopped development.
> The main idea was, because of the structure of the Squid code, you cannot
> simply connect to a server and then put an objcet. Instead, what I did
> was to send a new ICP codeI created that means "please get this object from
> me."

Another way to do this is to :

o send the squid that you want to push the object to an ICP_OP_QUERY
o if it returns HIT then it already has it !
o if it returns MISS then do a HTTP GET request to it.
o the squid then sends out ICP_OP_QUERY for that object, you then respond
   really fast with a HIT and the squid comes and gets it
o you have to bit bucket the same object it sends back though.

> > also, the documentation on squid code seems incomplete on the web. is
> > it possible to get more docs anywhere??
>
> That's about it. But for Squid development, be sure to join the
> squid-dev mailing list.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Miguel A.L. Paraz +63-2-750-2288
> CTO, IPhil Communications www.iphil.net

Stephen Baxter SE Network Access/Big Networks Australia
phone : +61 8 8221 5221 222 Grote Street
fax : +61 8 8221 5220 Adelaide 5000, Australia