Re: push caching and squid

From: Yee Man Chan <ymc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:45:30 -0400 (EDT)

> i believe that squid servers use http to retrieve the objects.
> what problems would it create if these pages were allowed to be multicast
> instead of unicast, apart from reliability.
>
> thanks!

        I think the "problem" (not a problem in fact) would be that
sometimes your push is a HIT on Squid. Then to save bandwidth, you may
want to develop some protocol to validate the freshness of object already
in the cache. Another concern is whether Squid should treat this a pushed
object differently. If you would love to have the guarantee that your
object could stay in the cache for a certain amount of time instead of
giving its fate to the spurrious request stream, you may want to develop
some payment mechanism in Squid.

$0.02,
Yee Man Chan