Re: Squid-2.1 RELEASE on WinNT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 03:01:49 +0100

Robert Rhodes wrote:

> For curiosity's sake, has anyone gotten Squid-2.1 to work on WinNT? I was
> able to compile it on my Pentium-300 using Cygwin Beta 20. Squid starts and
> appears to be running, but doesn't retrieve web pages for clients pointing
> to it. There are no errors in cache.log and nothing in access.log.

Cygwin Beta 20 seems to have serious trouble with non-blocking sockets,
especially the accept() call. Try using CygWin Beta 19.2 instead. It was
the CygWin version I (and some other) managed to get a Squid 1.2beta
running on NT with. I don't have my copy of CygWin 19.2 installed
anymore so I can't tell if Squid-2.1 works better with that version or
not, but CygWin beta 20 defenitely does not work for Squid 2.1.

It may be possible to work around this CygWin bug by using select() to
guard the accept() call but there may be other problems with CygWin beta
20 besides the accept() call. My initial tests indicated that fstat()
also did not work the way we are used to have it work, and there are
most likely other oddities as well.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker