Re: WCCP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 00:20:50 +0100

Ryu Cheol wrote:

> If Cisco would not open WCCP, another one should be made with
> other router/switch vendors? or just policy routing command enough?

Transparent caching options available today:

* Policy based routing / route maps
* TCP switching
* TCP redirection in a host based router
* Cisco WCCP + CacheEngine
* Link switch
* Probaly some other tehniques I have forgotten.

To me intelligent TCP switching is the most appealing of these. It is
easy to setup, requires close to no new protocols, and has "instant"
cache fault recovery with fallback to no caching if all servers should
fail. You can also add IP or even URL based cache routing (CARP or
similar) to these whithout to much effort.

For smaller setups a "link switch" seems quite reasonable. The idea
behind a link switch is that the cache acts as a bridge (two separate
network cables) and a small device monitors the cache and physically
bypasses it by connecting the two cables if it should fail.

Hardware costs some money, but which hardware doesn't?

/Henrik