Re: WCCP

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 13:41:49 +1300

On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 11:59:45PM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Chris Wedgwood wrote:
>
> > The nice thing about WCCP though is that the `failure mode' is more
> > pleasant than with a policy route/route-map.
>
> I think what you are reffering to is rather a property of the
> current policy route / route map implementations, not the technique
> as such.

Yes.

> You should be able to have backup routes as in normal routing, but
> apparently this does not work with the current brands?

My experience is mostly with cisco router kit -- but there are other
solutions out there such as layer-4 switches (Acton?) and the like
which may be able to detect a dead proxes and stop directing towards
those units. A cisco Local Director will probably do the same thing
too... (not sure, anyone want to give me one so I can check it out?)

I know other people are doing this via cisco routers and have the
policy route deactivated or updated if a squid dies for some reason.
This isn't to hard because you can enable `rsh' access to the routers
if your game (scary IMO).

I'm currently playing with linux+ipautofw to make a layer-4 switch of
sorts, which I hope will be able to eventually detect dead proxies
and do whatever it needs to do....

-Chris