Re: memory-mapped files in Squid

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:17:19 +0200

Hi

> > I need some implementation help.
> > The idea is to store all objects <=8K into one large memory mapped file.
>
> The one dead-end is that you cannot mmap more than 3GB of file at a
> time. Thats awfully little, and remmaping some huge file is pretty
> expensive system call.
>
> That's only true for 32bit machines, right? In a year or so, we
> probably all use 64bit machines. Large proxy servers with huge disks

Many people would prefer to use a squid-fs NOW. This includes me - and we
run almost entirely Intel systems...

> still use the normal file system. If 3GB is getting too small one could
> come up with a scheme where originally all objects are stored in files but
> objects (<=8K) which produce more than one hit per day move into a memory
> mapped file.

Interesting idea.... just as long as you don't end up spending all of your
time moving files in and out of the mmaped area.

Oskar

---
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -
a single minute of being alive?"				-- Think Twice