memory-mapped files in Squid

From: Carlos Maltzahn <carlosm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:30:47 -0700 (MST)

I need some implementation help.

The idea is to store all objects <=8K into one large memory mapped file.
I'm not familiar with Squid's source code and the various sub systems it
uses. But ideally one could integrate memory mapped files with Squid's
memory pools so that loaded parts of the memory mapped file don't have to
compete with web objects in memory pools.

Have people tried something similar? What is your experience? Would you
extend Squid's swapout/swapin modules or Squid's memory pools. What other
possibilities do exist?

I ran two trace-driven file system load generators, one similar to Squid's
current file access, and one with a combination of memory-mapped file
access for <=8K objects and normal file access for >8K objects. The
results were very encouraging. So I really like to implement something
like this in Squid and see whether it indeed saves a lot disk I/O.

Thanks,
Carlos