Re: memory-mapped files in Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:58:00 +0100

Oskar Pearson wrote:

> If I understand this correctly, the major advantage of a fifo buffer is
> that there is almost no fragmentation... right?

That is one of the advantages, but there are more.

* Almost no fragmentation
* Writes can be optimized to use as few I/O ops as possible, even
crossing object boundaries.
* I/O can be fully elevator optimized to minimize seek times. No random
seeking.
* No or minimal filesystem overhead. A extremely simple layout of the
store can be used.
* No, or very small block sizes, giving a higher disk size utilization
per stored object.
* Quite obvious how to make checkpoints, so we can have instant restarts
without risking cache corruption even if Squid crashes and leaves the
cache in a "dirty" state.

> I personally think that a fairly classic filesystem (something like the sfs
> code) is probably the way to go.

Lets see where a FIFO approach can end up. You have to admit that it is
an interesting area to investigate.

/Henrik