Re: snapshot available

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:46:36 +0000

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> I see no big value in dynamic modules. Why would I want to constantly add
> and delete modules run-time?

It eases the job of making binary distributions. If a user wishes to
switch a module he gets another binary shared object implementing the
function, changes a configuration file and restarts the program (Squid).

> Instead, link-time static loading seems to offer almost the same benefits
> without being too complex or system dependent. In a modern language like
> C++ that could be done without any ./configure help whatsoever.

I don't fully agree with you in detail, but please can we defer this
discussion on source layout, linktime vs shared modules and such things
for later, and instead concentrate on defining module boundaries
(including core modules like comm.c) and specifications for those?

Duane: Is you listening to squid-dev discussions or do we need to CC you
when we want you to listen?

/Henrik