Re: commBind error

From: Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:40:41 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Carlos Diaz wrote:

> Hi there!! Please how can I fix this error.
>
> commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 36 to *:3128: (98) Address$
> FATAL: Cannot open HTTP Port

Normally, this would occur if squid was already running, or if another
process was using the port for some reason. Curiously, I got this message
the other day, which switching from running squid as root with
'cache_effective_user squid' to running squid as
su squid -c /usr/local/sbin/squid .....

the 'su squid ' version failed to bind, but going back to starting as root
fixed the problem. My guess is that this is OS specific - I'm running
FreeBSD 3.1

Danny