Re: 2.3.DEVEL2 now on the web site

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:20:37 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>Arjan de Vet wrote:
>
>> FreeBSD has only userspace pthreads at the moment. They never worked
>> really well with Squid but I recently saw some messages on the cvs
>> commit mailing list about new bugfixes; haven't tried those yet.
>
>userspace threads won't help Squid. Squid's async-io code will only work

I know, I did it just to check whether it would work. The main problem I
found was that squid couldn't talk to the dnsserver processes when using
FreeBSD's pthreads implementation.

>with kernel based threads. It may work with a thread package which

Maybe we should add a small remark about this in the FAQ?

>automatically translates threaded read/write/open/close calls to aio,
>but I doubt that the FreeBSD userspace threads do this.

It doesn't.

>Sounds promising, and the new Squid 2.3 code should be fairly easy to
>rewrite to use aio rather than the internal threads based
>implementation.

Haven't looked at the 2.3 prereleases yet but this is certainly on my
todo list.

Arjan