Re: rsync

From: <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:49:05 +0000

Duane Wessels wrote:

> I don't know if this will be useful or not, but I thought I'd try
> it anyway.
>
> You can use rsync if you want to have an up-to-date Squid-2.3 source
> tree. Its not as good as CVS server because it probably doesn't allow
> you to modify your local copy. rsync will probably wipe out your
> changes.
>
> Anyway, here's the command(s):
>
> % mkdir squid-2.3
> % cd squid-2.3
> % rsync -a -v www.squid-cache.org::squid-2.3 .
>
> You can get rsync from www.samba.org/rsync/.
>
> Duane W.

rsync is not really good for more than mirror, true, but it's an
incredible bandwidth-saver (and in formal technical terms, it 'rocks'). I
think all our australian mirrors now make them available through
anonymous rsync, and at work we no longer use assorted mirroring programs
to keep our local mirrors up to date.