Re: squid-2.3.devel3-strip-whitespace.patch

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:41:33 -0700

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Some comments on the squid-2.3.devel3-strip-whitespace patch. The
> description reads:
>
> By default, Squid would deny requests when the URL
> contained a whitespace character. RFC 2616 says that
> applications should strip out whitespace. This patch
> adds a new ``strip'' option for the ``uri_whitespace''
> directive and makes it the default.
>

> Have not found this recommendation anywhere in RFC 2616, only that
> semantically transparent proxies must not rewrite the abs_path
> request-URI in any way (section 5.1.2, last paragraph).

Sorry, I said RFC2616 instead of 2396.

> An error message telling that the request is invalid is very easy to
> doagnose. A request that transparently gets transformed to a lightly
> different one is not.

It may be easy to diagnose for you and I, but not for most users.
You've seen all the messages to squid-users.

I'm just really tired of broken browsers and servers generating
requests that make it look like a Squid bug. If the browsers are not
willing to turn an Invalid URL into a valid one, then I am willing to
do it with Squid given the guidance in RFC 2396.

Duane W.