Re: your post at bestmall.com

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:02:12 -0700

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Duane Wessels wrote:
>
> > Since this must be automated, the job of sending sensible bounces
> > belongs to the mail list software. Currently we use 'smartlist' which
> > has good and bad things about it. I thought the current bounces
> > for squid-users etc were sensible.
>
> I assume they are. What do they look like by the way?

The old message was arguably vague. It now reads

January 24, 2000

Your message has not been sent to the squid-users list because you
are not a subscriber.

Due to increased spam, we only accept messages from subscribed
users. If you think you are already subscribed, but you get this
message anyway, then you are probably subscribed under a different
address.

To subscribe, send mail to:

        squid-users-request@ircache.net

Answers for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) are at

        http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ.html

Other Squid documentation can be found at

        http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/

> What are the bad things with smartlist?

It has an autounsubscribe feature for bounces. Sometimes it
screws up and unsubscribes the wrong person. I think you
(Henrik) have been victim of that more than once.

The configuration file is kind of ugly.

It has little security. Its probably possible for anyone
to unsubscribe anyone else.

It doesn't always recognize subscribe/unsubscribe
messages sent to the list.

logging is not as nice as I would like. Sometimes
its hard to find causes for problems.